By reducing the damage caused by free radicals, antioxidants aids to reduction in cardiovascular diseases as well as prevent certain forms of cancer. Antioxidants Foods Can Help Prevent Heart Attacks as Antioxidants is said to counter free radicals caused in the body due to oxidation; thus safeguarding the body from diseases caused by free radicals and oxidation.
Antioxidants are said to be found in plenty in fruits and vegetables as well as fish, poultry and whole grains that can improve your health problems. Below is the lists of vegetables, fruits, nuts and whole grains where different types of antioxidants are found.
- allium sulphur compounds – leeks, onions and garlic
- anthocyanins – eggplant, grapes and berries
- beta-carotene – pumpkin, mangoes, apricots, carrots, spinach and parsley
- catechins – red wine and tea
- copper – seafood, lean meat, milk and nuts
- cryptoxanthins – red capsicum, pumpkin and mangoes
- flavonoids – tea, green tea, citrus fruits, red wine, onion and apples
- indoles – cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower
- isoflavonoids – soybeans, tofu, lentils, peas and milk
- lignans – sesame seeds, bran, whole grains and vegetables
- lutein – green, leafy vegetables like spinach, and corn
- lycopene – tomatoes, pink grapefruit and watermelon
- manganese – seafood, lean meat, milk and nuts
- polyphenols – thyme and oregano
- selenium – seafood, offal, lean meat and whole grains
- vitamin A – liver, sweet potatoes, carrots, milk, and egg yolks
- vitamin C – oranges, blackcurrants, kiwifruit, mangoes, broccoli, spinach, capsicum and strawberries
- vitamin E – vegetable oils (such as wheatgerm oil), avocados, nuts, seeds and whole grains
- zinc – seafood, lean meat, milk and nuts
- zoochemicals – red meat, offal and fish. Also derived from the plants that animals eat.
Antioxidants Foods Can Help Prevent Heart Attacks as Antioxidants when consumed from whole fruits, vegetables and grains as well as fish and poultry are said to be more effective than taking supplements. It will help prevent diseases caused by free radicals such as blindness, arthritis, brain hemorrhage and damage that also causes diseases such as Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s. It also reduces ageing, and prevents risks of heart diseases etc.
Source: Better Heath, Govt of Australia